Saturday, October 24, 2009

Two days and counting


Well, the last few days have been very challenging. On Thursday morning, Alanna started coughing. So we kept her home from school. Later that day her symptoms got worse. By about midnight, her fever was 104.7. So I stayed up with her through the night to make sure she was okay. Thankfully her fever went down to 103 around 5am and I was able to get some rest. Of course that meant Cecil (who was still recovering from her own illness) had to take care of the household. Then on Friday night and this morning, Ethan began running a low fever (about 101). Thankfully it was gone by about 10am this morning.

Because of the upcoming surgery, we are trying to keep the entire family quarantined. So we have either stayed in the house or gone outside to the park. Today we were all very tired of being cramped up inside, so we went to the beach in Half Moon Bay. It was a beautiful day at the coast and the salty air seemed to help the kids.
Please pray for all of us to get well and especially that Ethan will be totally healthy by Monday morning. Both kids seemed to be doing better tonight before bed, but who knows what tomorrow holds. I still think everything will work out for Monday morning, but if there is one thing I've learned, it's that you never know what will happen tomorrow. Also, pray for Cecil and me. The closer the surgery gets the more nervous and anxious we are. Tonight, I just spent some time holding Ethan and praying silently before I put him to bed. The other night as I was putting him to bed, I told him how proud I was of how he handled the pre-op visit and how brave he was. His response was, "Dad, I really don't like those blood tests."

Sometimes I wonder how aware he is of what is going to happen. Those of you who know him, know that he is a very energetic boy, so I am praying that he will be able to be patient through his recovery. His favorite thing to do is "play wrestle and tackle with Daddy." Of course he won't be able to do that for about 2-3 months.
I'll give you another update tomorrow night. Thanks again for your prayers.

PS - feel free to post comments if you would like. I am somewhat curious to see if anyone is following my postings.

2 comments:

Stormos said...

Hi Josh and Cecil -

I thought Alanna might be sick since I found out late Fri that she was out on Th and F. I hope everyone is feeling better. Seems some classrooms at school had a few kids out for several days in a row last week. I guess the flu is in Fremont already!

Sarah and Xander rec'd their H1N1 flu shot on Th nt and found out we need a booster in 30 days!

If you need me to take or pick up Alanna, please let me know (or anything else that might be helpful).

Glad to see you were able to make it to the beach. Looks like you all had a nice time.

Let me know if you need me to pick up homework for Alanna either this week (if she doesn't go back to school on Monday), or any other time she's out in the future.

As always, you all are in our daily prayers. Let us know how Monday goes.

Blessings,
Carol

shellybean said...

I am following your posts :) So pleased to see that you were all healthy enough to enjoy the beach, it can be so relaxing to hear the waves crashing and the kids laughing! I am praying for you and always here if there is anything else your family may need.

sincerely
Michele Miller