Sunday, December 16, 2012

My thoughts regarding the tragedy in Connecticut

I first heard the news around 10:00am when my smart phone vibrated an alert from CNN. I followed the story throughout the entire day as new details were released. I talked with friends as we waited outside our school to pick up our children. My first thoughts are "God, Why?" Innocent children and heroic teachers, lives ended in a flash. Then in the sadness of the moment, I put myself in these parents shoes and I got a small taste of their despair and hopelessness. So what help is there for these grieving, broken families...I certainly have no answers. There is nothing that can be said, done, or given that can in any way repair the devastation that has come on their lives. I must admit that for a few moments I have my own doubts about the reality of God and his love. How could God allow this? If anyone in society deserves protection it is innocent children. But then I remember that the very fact that I am so saddened and outraged by this tragedy is proof that God exists. The fact that we (humanity) are made in God's image is why this is a tragedy. We are not just some highly evolved animals as some would suggest. We are made in his image and therefore we and life are precious. So how do we respond to this mess?
  • First, we trust and have faith in God that...He will bring about justice for these innocent lives, that He sees beyond what we see and is in control, and that He will make all things right one day.
  • Second, we remember that eternity is real. Every person is made for eternity. If this life alone is the beginning and end, then we all have no hope. Heaven is real. It is place of no tears, no fear, no tragedies...So as followers of Jesus we pray, "Come Lord Jesus Come!" Only Christ can bring about the change in this world that we so desperately need.
  • Lastly, we value life and don't take it for granted. Hug your kids, play with them, enjoy life...we don't know when it will be gone. Every day families endure these types of tragedies but they don't get the media coverage. In cities like Oakland, families are torn apart by violence almost every day. We have no guarantees in this life so don't take this life for granted...

Psalm 23 (NLT)
1 A psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. 2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. 3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. 4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. 5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. 6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.
[1]
[1] Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation. (2nd ed.). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments: