Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Week - Day 3


In my devotional time this morning I read Matthew 26:17-30 (ESV)
17 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?” 18 He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.’ ” 19 And the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover. 20 When it was evening, he reclined at table with the twelve. 21 And as they were eating, he said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” 22 And they were very sorrowful and began to say to him one after another, “Is it I, Lord?” 23 He answered, “He who has dipped his hand in the dish with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” 25 Judas, who would betray him, answered, “Is it I, Rabbi?” He said to him, “You have said so.” 26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.” 30 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

This passage of Scripture describes the scene as Jesus and his disciples observe the Jewish Passover. Then at the end of the passage, Jesus establishes the Christian ordinance of Communion or the Lord's Supper. But what I really focused on this morning was the fact that Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament Passover remembrance. In the book of Exodus, the Israelites were commanded by God through Moses to pack their bags and get ready to leave Egypt because God was going to send the 10th plague, which was the death of the 1st born son. Moses said that the death angel would "pass over" their homes and spare their eldest son if they observed this ritual. They had to kill a lamb and sprinkle the blood on the top and sides of the doorpost. When the death angel saw that mark, he would "pass over" them.
Now move forward to the Matthew 26 passage. In this passage Jesus is declaring that He is the permanent passover sacrifice. Just as the blood of the lamb spared the house from the righteous anger of God, so the shedding of His blood on the cross would spare the world from the righteous anger of God. With the original passover all were welcomed to participate in the passover feast, both Israelite and Egyptian. But of course only those who believed and worship Jehovah God participated. In the same way, all are welcomed by God to participate in the forgiveness and reconciliation that is offered through Christ's death, but only those who choose to embrace Jesus as Lord and Savior will do so. So this morning I end with these words written by the Apostle Paul, "Thank God for this gift too wonderful for words!" 2Corinthians 9:15 (NLT)


[1]
[1] Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation. (2nd ed.). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.

[1] The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

No comments: