Friday, February 8, 2008

Health Update



As many of you are aware, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol this past November (264). My doctor at Kaiser suggested that I start taking medication to help bring it down. When I was 24, I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol and my doctor had me take Lipitor to bring it down. So...for the past three months I have been on the diet from hell. I decided back in November that I was going to do everything in my power to keep from taking medication. I cut out all desserts, all saturated fat, almost all regular fats. I cut out beef and pork. I limited myself to small amounts of chicken and fish.

So you are probably wondering what happened. First I have to thank my wife for making this lifestyle change much easier to accomplish. She is totally supportive of my diet. In fact everyone in the house basically is living on this same diet. We started making homemade soups, substituting egg whites for eggs in baking, cooking without added fats (butter & oil), using lots and lots of fruits, vegetables, and salads. So here's what happend: 1. I lost 15 pounds (not purposely, but as a side affect of eliminating bad food) 2. My energy level went way, way up (I feel better, sleep better, and need less sleep) 3. I lowered my cholesterol by 74 points (It is now 190!!!)

Maybe some of you need encouragement to make a lifestyle change. In hindsight, I'm really glad that I found out about my high cholesterol because it forced me to change. If you haven't been to your doctor in while you should make it a priority to have a yearly checkup. So eat healthy and live happy!

No comments: