Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Solitude and Meditation


Today was spent at Catholic Retreat Center in Los Gatos. It was a simple, quiet place up a small hill in beautiful surroundings. This is my second year of attending a monthly prayer retreat called "Come Away" which is organized by a group called Eagle's Wings. The habit of reflection, solitude, prayer, and meditation do not come easy for me. In fact the first few times I attended these retreats last year, I was left frustrated because I wasn't able to" get anything done." But thankfully over time, God began to strip away the busyness and distractions from my mind to focus on Him. Today's retreat (my first since last April) was especially refreshing for me. I forgot how much I truly need to get away on a consistent basis to be alone with God. My first few hours were spent mentally chasing ideas and thoughts, but then slowly God began to calm my mind to experience His presence. In our busy, hectic schedules time alone is very difficult to find. But I have found that it is one of the truly transformation disciplines that I need.

No comments: